At Imperial, we are committed to providing a rewarding long-term career. To cultivate your growth, we provide you with assignments across various functions of the Finance organization: controllers, audit, tax, and treasurers; as well as across all segments of our business: upstream, downstream, chemical and corporate.
The company also offers challenging work terms in the finance functions for students interested in pursuing a career in accounting. Learn more about our finance co-op program.
At Imperial, we encourage employees to reach their full potential. That is why we strongly support employees on their journey to become a CPA. Imperial has been a pre-approved CPA Practical Experience provider since March 21, 2016. Learn more about becoming a CPA at Imperial.
Search job opportunities and apply here
Meet our team: Lianne Delarosbil
I was attracted to Imperial because of the organization’s commitment in long-term employee development. The opportunities I was presented through the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP) allowed me to gain strong skills within the first years of my career.
Lianne Delarosbil, planning and operations financial analyst
Lianne’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Calgary in 2016 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – major in accounting.
• Completed 12 months of co-op work terms with Imperial in controllers; two located in Calgary and one in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
• Employed full-time in 2016 as a planning and operations financial analyst for Imperial’s Global Real Estate and Facilities team.
• Working towards Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation; writing common final exam in September, 2018.
Meet our team: Colin Cheng
Imperial continuously rotates me into increasingly challenging assignments in order to develop a breadth of accounting and industry knowledge. I also have the opportunity to interface with senior management and sharpen my teamwork and leadership capabilities. These experiences are at the core of becoming a CPA.
Colin Cheng, downstream & chemical analyst
Colin’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of British Columbia in 2013 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – majors in accounting and business technology management.
• Completed 12 months of co-op work terms with Imperial in project accounting and internal audit.
• Employed full-time in 2014 into Upstream operations accounting.
• Obtained Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in 2016 while working at Imperial - specialization in Finance and Performance Management.
Meet our team: Donna Steckler
As a large organization, there are an abundance of opportunities available for employees. Imperial has always provided me with a broad range of experiences that promote continuous learning.
Donna Steckler, upstream external reporting supervisor
Donna’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with Honours in 2005 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – majors in accounting & finance.
• Obtained Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in 2008 while working at Imperial.
• Joined Imperial in 2006 in Calgary; had two roles as part of the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP).
• Relocated for 2 years to our ExxonMobil Canada St. John’s office.
• Held positions in Imperial’s Controller’s, Internal Audit, and Planning departments supporting both Upstream & Downstream businesses.
• Progressed into supervisor roles over the last five years, each role increasing in scope and complexity.
• Donna has been featured in CPA magazine in fall 2016. Read more.
Meet our team: Jim Burgess
The experiences and perspectives gained from global assignments have been tremendously beneficial in my career. High caliber people, interesting/challenging work and ongoing learning and development have been the key reasons for my longevity with Imperial.
Jim Burgess, assistant controller
Jim’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Toronto with Honours in 1997 with a Bachelor of Arts degree – major in commerce.
• Joined Imperial in 1997 in Toronto; relocated to Calgary in 2005.
• Has held a variety of roles in Imperial’s Controller’s, Treasurer’s and Internal Audit departments.
• Spent seven years working outside Canada with Exxon Mobil Corporation in various global advisory and leadership roles in Houston, Texas, Dallas, Texas and Bangkok, Thailand.
• Returned to Imperial in October 2016 as Assistant Controller.
• Holds CPA designation.
Become a CPA at Imperial
Imperial has been a pre-approved CPA Practical Experience provider since March 21, 2016.
We offer a high quality structured training program for new graduates pursuing their CPA that involves:
- Job rotations in the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP) - CPA candidates are rotated through progressively complex job assignments to develop Controller’s and CPA competencies that meet all practical experience requirements
- Reimbursement for eligible CPA costs and cover of annual CPA dues
- Mentorship program
- Finance organization competency training courses
- Quarterly EPDP learning sessions
- Financial Management Network learning sessions
- Corporate financial analyst
- Income tax compliance analyst
- Financial reporting analyst
- Planning analyst
- Business analysis and reporting analyst
- Corporate business analysis and reporting analyst
- Project accountant
Robust co-op program
Imperial offers four and eight month challenging work terms in the Finance functions for students interested in pursuing a career in accounting. Our students work in a fast-paced team environment and prepare, analyze, interpret and communicate financial results with a focus on maintaining effective business controls.
Sample work-terms include:
- Financial analyst
- Project accountant
- Internal auditor
Positions can be located in corporate offices in Calgary, AB or St. John’s NL as well refinery site locations in Sarnia and Nanticoke, ON.
Learn more about our co-op program from one of our recent students Lana Toews.